Wednesday 22 May 2019

Hard cash


Nasaruddin Hodja owed some money to a neighbor. The neighbor had asked for his money numerous times to no avail. One day he was at the Hodja's door again.

`Hodja Effendi, when are you going to pay my money back?'

`Look!' Nasaruddin Hodja pointed out to a spot in his garden, `I planted shrubs over there.'

`So?'

`They will grow this tall by spring.'

`And?'

`All the sheep that pass by will brush against the shrubs and their wool will get caught by the prickly bushes.'

`Yes?'

`Then we will collect the wool from the shrubs and my daughter will spin them into yarns. I will take those yarns to the bazaar and sell them. With the money I get, I will pay you back.'

At this remote and unlikely solution, the neighbor had nothing to do but laugh.

`You see,' the Hodja said when he saw the lender laughing, `your mood improved when you saw the cash on the nail.'

No comments:

Post a Comment